IPU’s 14th Annual Advanced Regulatory Studies Program:
Ratemaking, Accounting, Finance, and Evaluation
Intensive, interactive, and technical workshops delving into “black box” analytical methods and issues relevant to public utility ratemaking. Flexible registration options are available.
IPU Advanced Regulatory Studies Program 2019: Agenda and Faculty
Open to everyone but space is limited to 90 attendees to ensure an optimal learning experience.
Eligible for continuing education credits, including IPU’s CCRE.
September 30- October 4, 2019
The program begins at 8:30 am Monday (Sept. 30) and ends at Noon on Friday (Oct. 4).
Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center, MSU, East Lansing, MI
Hotel reservations may be made directly with the Kellogg Center.
Room rates start at: $111 per night plus taxes with conference code 1909ADVANC.
Register online or by fax or email (pdf).
Base registration fee: $1,250 (public sector). See the registration form for details.
Fees include a full breakfast each day of the program.
Contact us about discounts for IPU Affiliates, early registration, and groups.
Use IPU’s Advanced Program budget estimator to plan your participation.
About the program
The IPU Advanced Regulatory Studies Program is a series of specialized half-day and all-day workshops designed to provide public-sector and private-sector professionals in the regulatory policy community with a unique opportunity to interact and exchange ideas on technical, methodological, and policy issues. Each workshop provides an intensive, immersive and peer-based learning experience, emphasizing discipline-based analytical methods and theoretical rigor coupled with practical hands-on problems and exercises to unlock some of the “black boxes”. The program faculty includes nationally known experts who draw from both academic and applied perspectives. The Advanced Program reflects our commitment to providing a reasoned and empirical approach to contemporary regulatory issues. The program offers flexible tracks focusing on ratemaking, accounting, finance, and economics. Half-day sessions allow participants to fully customize the program to their interests.
For a list of IPU FAQ’s Click Here.
Who should attend
The program is open to everyone and is designed for experienced professionals in the regulatory policy community, including federal and state personnel, consumer advocates, and private-sector professionals. Generalists and specialists in the utility sectors will benefit from attending. Past attendees of IPU programs – including the Annual Regulatory Studies Program (“Camp”) and the NARUC Utility Rate School – will find that the workshops offer a unique professional development experience. IPU will also arrange continuing education credits for accountants and attorneys as requested. The Advanced Program provides not only a great learning environment, but also a great forum for exchanging ideas and networking with professional peers.
- Fundamentals of revenue requirements
- GAAP, life-cycle, and regulatory accounting
- Regulatory treatment of income taxes
- Forecasting for resource planning
- Cost-benefit evaluation in regulation
- Capex and opex auditing and prudence review
- Financial statement analysis
- Demand response rate design
- Efficiency program evaluation
- Cost-allocation modeling
- Utility asset depreciation and retirement
- Performance regulation and benchmarking
- Utility credit markets and ratings
- Utility risks and performance incentives
- Utility business models and corporate value
- Mergers, acquisitions, and affiliate transactions
- Economics of renewable energy resources
- Net metering methodologies
- Economics of resource options
- Water utility rates and affordability
Program learning objectives
- To understand regulatory ratemaking, accounting, and economics at an advanced level.
- To explore the contemporary regulatory methods and issues in depth.
- To develop critical thinking and evaluation skills needed for regulatory analysis.
- To engage in a peer-to-peer educational and networking opportunity.
- To provide a hands-on learning experience through guided exercises.
What past Advanced attendees say about the program:
- “I really enjoyed the program last week, all the courses were beneficial in some way, I learned a good bit. Thank you for providing the platform for those of us out here looking for training.”
- “A solid understanding of the fundamentals of regulation is essential in addressing contemporary issues facing utilities and regulators. The bonus session offered at IPU programs is a great opportunity to explore the historical and conceptual underpinnings of regulation.”
- “I think my understanding of regulation was upgraded…”
- “This is a very effective (time-wise and cost-wise) venue for participants to access a wide range of topics.”
- “Very interesting and relevant topics. The interaction between participants from other states and countries was very useful.”
- “Excellent information – excellent presenters.”
- “Very useful workshop…”
- “Great follow-up to Rate School!”
- “As always… IPU is awesome!”
- “You put on a great program… I enjoyed it quite a bit. In some respects I left with more questions than I had when I came into the program; I think that’s a good sign… Again, great job with the program. Really enjoyed the instructors and their presentations, as well as the discussion among classmates.”
Materials: Attendees will have access to electronic materials, including presentations, worksheets, and useful supplemental resources. Bringing a portable computer is encouraged for accessing materials and participating in exercises. WiFi access is free of charge throughout the facility.
Comfort: Campus casual attire is recommended, but bring a sweater, hoodie, or light jacket as meeting rooms can be cool.
Attendee list: Out of respect for your privacy, and in keeping with our educational mission, we do not publicize our attendee lists in advance of our programs.
Cancellation and refunds: Cancellations are generally accepted until one week before the program but may result in forfeiture of a group discount. Program fees may be applied toward a future program or refunded. Substitutions are accepted at any time.
Comments and complaints: IPU welcomes program input and feedback. Participants will be asked to complete program evaluation forms. Comments and complaints about the program may be directed to IPU Director, Dr. Janice A. Beecher (email@example.com) or the IPU Operations Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).
NASBA National Registry Statement: The Institute of Public Utilities is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State Boards of Accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual course for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
Program Level: The program is classified as “advanced.” It is best for experienced professionals who have attended one or more of the courses classified as basic or intermediate. Prior participation in one or more basic courses and a minimum 2-3 years of relevant work experience is recommended. The program focuses on methods of accounting, financing, and evaluation related to public utility ratemaking.
Program Prerequisites: No formal prerequisites apply to this program. However, preparatory resources are available on the IPU program web page and prereading of some materials may be advised.
Program Delivery: The program delivery method is classified as a “group-live” event and organized as a series of intensive and interactive workshops with case example and hands-on exercises. Active learning and participation are encouraged. Program instructors are accessible for individual assistance throughout the program.
Field of study: This program is relevant to the following NASBA fields of study: administrative practice, accounting and auditing (corporate and governmental), business law, economics, finance, taxes, regulatory ethics, and specialized knowledge and applications. For program details and registration, please visit ipu.msu.edu/advanced.